I've been released, what do I need to do to get my refund for unused phone time?

  1. Refunds can be requested from inmate's prepaid accounts 30 days or later following release. If requests are received prior to 30 days of release, they will not be processed, and must be resubmitted no sooner than 30 days after your release date.

  2. You have 12 months from your release date to request a refund. Refund requests received after 12 months from your release date will not be processed.

  3. The refund request form must be PRINTED and READABLE. If we cannot read your request, it will not be processed.

You need to provide:

  • Any phone number from your authorized calling list. If you did not have a phone number on your Authorized Calling List, leave this field blank.
    NOTE: If you had phone numbers on your Authorized Calling List, and you do not fill in that field, your request will not be processed.

  • Your birth date

  • A complete mailing address so we can mail your refund check to you.

To process your refund request more quickly, complete an Inmate Telephone Account Refund Request form and mail it to us at:

Texas Inmate Telephone Account Refund

720 Western Blvd
Tarboro NC 27886